Sidegarth was originally built in 1913 as a holiday home. It had been extended and altered, often unsympathetically, until acquired by our client in 2004. Our brief was to extend, re-order and refurbish the house, re-affirming its faded Arts and Crafts character.
Work included extensions to the garage and utility areas and the construction of a new corner staircase, creating space and light in the main circulation areas. Internally the house was completely refurbished; unsuitable earlier alterations were removed and rooms of appropriate size, shape and character created.
Much attention was paid to detail with a new staircase and other purpose made joinery, furniture and fittings including door plates and window fasteners all designed by the practice.
Future phases will include landscaping, a garden pavilion and new ironwork gates and railings.